Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

As always, I'm late to this party, but I've really been enjoying Hotel Dusk. It's probably too much to ask that the puzzles be a bit more difficult, since I'm only about a third of the way through the game and (one hopes) there is likely an increasing level of difficulty.

Many people (notably, Penny Arcade) have commented on the "interactive novel" aspect of this game, as well as titles like Phoenix Wright. I have to agree that the game deserves high praise for presentation and innovation in "escape the room" style puzzling out of things. But, and here's the rub, I think the dialogue drags the game down. In the same way that I sorta abhor the meaningless cut scenes in the Phoenix Wright games (and yes, I know these are meant to be enriching - but c'mon, what are we doning in the name of flavor?), I find a lot of the Chatty Kathyness of Hotel Dusk to be a little bit of a drag. Also, from my preliminary peeks into reviews of the game, it's apparent that there will be times where I'll have to backtrack, like, a long way because I chose the "be a jerk" option in a conversation at the beginning of a chapter.

I mean, am I the only one who enjoyed The 7th Guest? Can someone do that for DS, please? More puzzles, enough story to be getting on with, and then some more puzzles? Should probably go buy this title and shut up, eh?

No comments: