Friday, September 21, 2007

The geolinguistics of soda/pop.

So i was in an elevator recently (it happens), and I got into a conversation with my boxmate about La Croix sparkling water, a case of which I was holding in my hand. It's basically club soda with a twist in a can. What I told the guy (who had professed to love the beverage) was that we could give it to our daughter - and she could think it was a treat - without actually resorting to soda. He immediately and enthusiastically agreed (it was kind of a weird little moment, two devotee dads discussing sugar-free options for kids). Only he used the word "pop."

Now, I remember first hearing "pop" in the same way that I remember hearing the Southern universalism "coke" to refer to any carbonated beverage. But it got me to wondering about distributions - like, is it purely valley girl to say "pop?" Is anyone mapping this?

Thankfully, the internet is chock full of useless information.

Busy busy getting everything in order for the move. Come Thursday we'll be in la Civic. :)

----------------
Now playing: Silversun Pickups - Little Lover's So Polite
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Anne said...

When we lived in LA I do not remember the use of the word "pop". On the east coast "soda" was the term; and especially in Bermuda. And what about going to the market vs going to the store. I still go to market here in the west. And then there is "bag" vs "sack".......The M